In case of school closure or the need for families to self-isolate, we have prepared the following learning for the children to complete.
Mrs Arnold and the Year 4 Team
Hamilton Trust Learning Packs
Hamilton Trust are providing free home learning packs for English and maths for Years 1-6 for parents to download and use at home. The packs provide a excellent learning resource, particularly for English as they link with reading and grammar.
Watch the following clip.
- Choose one or two of the following activities:
- Tell the story from a meerkat’s point of view.
- Describe the beautiful setting of the African plains.
- Create some dialogue between the meerkats at various points in the film.
- Write a piece of descriptive writing using the picture and planning list.
Keep reading! Make sure you are still reading regularly at home and fill in your Reading Diary as you go along.
As you read a book complete one of the activities on your Guided Reading Activity Log Sheet.
Below are 20 reading tasks that you can also have a go at completing:
Here are some reading comprehensions that you may wish to complete:
- Watch the clip.
- Complete the three simple activities.
- Create a contraction game where you match the two words with its contraction. (E.g. snap/bingo/memory game)
- Watch the clip.
- Complete the 4 questions and the quiz.
Times Tables RockStar. We will keep the battles going and recording who wins them! Make sure you are battling at least 4 times a week to help your team.
Log into NumBots website using your TTRockStar log-in. Work your way through the story.
Maths home learning tasks are being set regularly and monitored by your class teacher on My Maths.
Make up a simple bubble mixture with washing up liquid and create a simple investigation. Possible questions below.
Do larger bubbles pop quicker than smaller bubbles?
Does the surface that the bubble lands on affect the length of time the bubble lasts?
You could make a prediction, create a table of results or write up what happened in your experiment with a diagram.
Read the information on volcanoes and watch the clips. Create your own volcano fact file. If you are feeling creative you could make a volcano model!
Week 2 ‘Revision French Greetings’ (30 minutes in total)
- Intro> revision video on French Greetings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgyvEXTZbk
- Listening/Speaking practice> click on speech bubble and repeat out loud https://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/french/sect06/no_2/no_2.htm
- Writing/Listening > listen and type in what each person says using the expressions bank https://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/french/sect06/no_4/no_4.htm
- Extension game > match up French greetings expressions https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/French/ET1/NewET1U1/2.htm
Week 2 Revision
- Intro ¿Cómo te llamas? Listen and repeat https://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/spanish/topic02/no_01/no_01.htm
- ¿Cómo estás? Listen and repeat. Drag the correct expression to complete the dialogue https://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/spanish/topic03/no_01/no_01.htm
- Reading activity> look at the person’s facial expression and decide how they feel (click on the correct expression https://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/spanish/topic03/no_02/no_02.htm
Please follow the link and open/download the KS2 PowerPoint. Please go to lesson 1 (slide 7) and read through the information and watch the videos of the performances. The complete the activity on slide 11.
Keeping Active At Home
Over the weeks ahead it will be more important than ever for children to keep fit and active. We would like to provide you with some challenges and resources for you to try at home.
- All young people should aim to be physically active for 60 minutes each day.
- Print off these sheets and keep a log or how active you have been.
- We would encourage you to do as many of these activities in your gardens, benefiting from the fresh air, as possible.
Please ensure you have enough room to do these activities and perform them in a safe manner.
Dorset School Games
Work Out with Wicks
The Body Coach, Joe Wicks, has offered to become the Nations P.E. teacher and will be hosting live PE/ fitness sessions on his YouTube channel Monday – Friday 9am.
Children need to stay active and positive and these short home sessions will really help.Joe Wicks – The Body Coach TV
Please share this and let your friends and family know. Workouts will be hosted at youtube.com/thebodycoach1